Diversity Thunder Bay consists of individuals and representatives of organizations working to celebrate difference and end racism and discrimination in Thunder Bay, Ontario. In keeping with our mission to foster a culturally aware and equitable community, Diversity Thunder Bay welcomes diverse groups from the city. Established in 2000, our membership has grown steadily as we have worked, one initiative at a time, to raise awareness and educate the community.
Diversity Thunder Bay works towards an inclusive, equitable community free of racism and discrimination of any kind.
Diversity Thunder Bay believes that Thunder Bay should be a welcoming and safe place for individuals and groups regardless of “race”*, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, class, creed, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, education, marital status, source of income, same-sex partnership status, family status or disability.
*Diversity Thunder Bay believes that race is a social construct without any basis in science.
- To develop partnerships with other community organizations to work on broader issues of diversity and inclusion.
- To ensure that the Diversity Thunder Bay membership is a true reflection of Thunder Bay’s population.
- To develop and provide feedback on policies, procedures and action plans that will further the interests of Diversity Thunder Bay.
- To encourage Diversity Thunder Bay member organizations to become more inclusive of diverse groups in Thunder Bay.
- To undertake initiatives that will improve diversity and inclusion in Thunder Bay.
- To share information, network and offer mutual support to municipal, regional, provincial, national and international groups who are interested in the areas of diversity and inclusion.
- To support the work of the City of Thunder Bay Anti-Racism Committee.